Jumaat, 6 April 2012

Just How Accurate is 123D Catch?


Do you remember Autodesk Lab's Project PhotoFly? Well, it has recently graduated into 123D Catch. And it's still free!
The idea behind it is that you can use a digital camera to take pictures of something, load it into this software, and it uses all sorts of black magic and cloud computing to convert these pictures into a real honest to goodness 3D mesh with texture. I used the Labs version to take pictures of a small statue on a co-worker's desk using just the camera on my cell phone and the results were astonishing. You can then take a known dimension on the object to convert it into something that has real size and scale.
But just how accurate is the resulting model? A model generated from nothing more than digital photos.
Well, to help answer that question I thought I'd pass along an article that I recently ran across:

Tiada ulasan: